4.01.2010

Burmese charm

I recently caught up with my good friend, Tim, for belated birthday celebrations over catch-up conversation and amazing food at Burmese Kitchen in the Tenderloin. If there's a Burmese restaurant in your area, and you've been curious to try the cuisine, I'd strongly advise to get thee bum there toute suite! I've experienced a myriad of flavors in my lifetime, but Burmese food -- in particular the fermented tea leaf salad -- is a whole new flavor profile for me, and has my tastebuds doing proverbial back flips... in a good way!

I also had the chance to give Tim a birthday charm necklace I made for him, of found objects, vintage jewelry findings, and some beautiful materials I've collected. He asked me to create something for him, and his birthday was a good excuse to get myself back into the materials & trinket bin. I thoughtfully contemplated the pairing of these items, in order to create something along a more masculine aesthetic. This was different from my usual design direction, and I enjoyed stepping out of my usual creative boundaries.


Ironically, Tim was sporting a lovely leather & metal bracelet from H&M, and a gorgeous, heavy silver-linked bracelet. They matched perfectly with the charm bracelet.


Stainless steel ball chain, with charms of antiqued silver ring, metal bullet, mother-of-pearl disc, carved shell leaf, puka shell, and silver articulated alligator (not shown). Found objects and vintage jewelry pieces.

No comments: